Old 27-06-2009, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pigeon Deterrent

mark wrote:
They seem to like broccoli! Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

Thanks

mark

Garden netting. Works a treat. I have a problem with wood pigeons eating
all my brassicas. They tend to prefer to eat them when only a few inches
high and can strip several plants down to their ribs in one sitting.
Just get some garden netting (approx 1 cm size holes) and drape it over
the greens. No need to support it, but you may need to place a few rocks
on the edges to stop it blowing away if it gets windy there. Leave the
netting slack enough so the plants can lift it easily as they grow.

The netting also help to deter cabbage white butterflies. They like to
lay their eggs under the leaves, and it puts them off if they can't
readily land there. In principle they could climb through the holes, but
this doesn't seem to happen.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.