Old 27-06-2009, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ronny Ronny is offline

Default Pigeon Deterrent

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 04:22:49 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

On Jun 27, 11:55*am, "mark" wrote:
They seem to like broccoli! *Mine at least.

I was wondering if I made a thin ply silhouette of a hawk and dangled it
over the *veg. area would it do any good.

As for suggestions involving shotguns etc., not helpful, not original.

While walking round a boot sale I came across a very large, black,
plastic rook. I thought what a great deterrent. However the attitude
of the pigeons seems to be, "Hey look old rooky's down there, must be
something good to eat!"

my pigeons feed with the jacjdaws here

I have also tried the silhouette cat with sparkling green eyes - the
pigeons ignored it it but my real cats were very wary.

Another (daft?) solution I see around sometimes is the 2 litre plastic
lemonade bottles, 3/4 filled with water, laid flat on the ground.
Don't even ask how this is supposed to work!

I think that ones for the cats funny enough since I put some down the
neighbours cats(3) have not been seen here in my garden, though they
do still skirt the public fringes

so that ones not yet busted here.

One that is partially successful (for a while anyway) is to string up
some old CDs so that they can move in the breeze and flash the
sunshine unexpectedly at the birds. When you see a large cock pigeon
looking in the shiny side and grooming his feathers, it's time to try
something new.

Please feel free to use any of these solutions there is no charge!

These amazing bird scaring solutions are brought to you by Old
Moghouse's Book of Useless Garden Lore.