Old 27-06-2009, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default How much fertilizer to ue

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Got me a tub of 5-5-5 pure organic fertilizer. Bone meal, blood meal,
gypsum, potash, cottonseed meal and grape pomace. For my plants by height
it says to use 1/4 cup per foot. Seems like a lot but it is pure organic.
So I just work a 1/4 cup measure into the soil in each pot?

I seriously doubt the quantity suggested is for potted plants... seems way
too heavy an applicatin... how do they know the *volume* of soil contained
by the pot... and I've never seen fertilizer directions given for plant
height whether potted or in the ground. Potted plant fertilizers are
typically of the type that are dissolved in water, with directions for
strength of solution and how often to apply. There are also time release
fertilzer pellets that are suggested for potted plants, but I'd not use
those except for plants directly in the ground.. I would never use dry
fertilizer for potted plants. What's the brand of this fertilizer, does the
label have contact information, a web site? Since it suggests using dry
measure perhaps it means mix 1/4 cup per cubic foot of potting soil. I hope
you didn't already water your plants (you'll likely damage or kill them), I
suggest you scoop out that fertilizer you already scratched in and top off
with fresh potting soil. Then find out the exact directions from the
manufacturer... in fact from the info you've provided I'd throw that product
away and buy a name brand fertilizer appropriate for your plants.