Old 27-06-2009, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default How much fertilizer to ue

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:34:21 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

Got me a tub of 5-5-5 pure organic fertilizer. Bone meal, blood meal,
gypsum, potash, cottonseed meal and grape pomace. For my plants by height
it says to use 1/4 cup per foot. Seems like a lot but it is pure organic.
So I just work a 1/4 cup measure into the soil in each pot? How often do I
do this?

The product is Nurseryman's Bumper Crop Booster. It was recommended by a
little old Japanese guy so I figure it has to be right.

Paul

Just because it is "organic" does not mean it can not burn.

If you are talking about O.D.ing the plant with blood meal, wood ash,
or some kind of salt, I would agree, but O.D.ing a plant is sooo much
easier with chemferts and they still kill the flora and fauna of the
substrate, including the mycorrhiza you may have added to your post to
aid your plants. One of the nice things about "organic fertilizers" is
that they are nearly fool proof, unless you are adding fresh manure. It
really takes gross negligence to muck them up. If you have evidence to
the contrary, I would love to see it. Wikipedia does have an article on
fertilizers and mentions organic fertilizers as being capable of burning
roots, but they all lack citations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertili...rs_.28mineral_
fertilizer.29
Follow
manufacturer's directions carefully, especially for potted plants.
Never used grape pomance, so I need to read up on it.

I have, and I still have grapes coming up after 6 years have passed. I
PRESUME that pumace in potting soil/mulch would have be sterilized by
heat before packaging.
In general I
fertilize monthly, alternating between organic and inorganic
fertilizers.

Chemferts are water soluble. They are quickly flushed from the ground or
from your pots. Chemferts are also absorbed quickly by plants, and the
nitrogen sources, (NH4, NO3) that aren't immediately needed, are stored
in their leaves. Quick growth means soft tissue, and high nitrogen
attracts insects. Organic fertilizers are slow release, allowing slow
continuous feeding of the plant without advertising themselves as
targets.
Also, look at the overall health of the plant--if
distressed hold back on fertilizers until you know the cause.

Agreed, and conversely, if your plant seems healthy, don't try to fix it.

The reason for the large quantities of "Bumper Crop" that were suggested
is apparently because it will be used as a mulch.

Bumper Crop
When using Bumper Crop as mulch a 1" to 3" thick layer of Bumper Crop
should be spread on the surface.
http://www.cambrianursery.com/bumper_crop.htm

I presume that your previous potting soil had a phosphate source, as
does the "Bumper Crop". The mycorrhiza that I previously suggested,
available at most nurseries, is particularly efficient in transporting
phosphate to your plants roots.

Typical NPK numbers for manures are
Manure Chicken Diary cow Horse Steer Rabbit Sheep
N 1.1 .257 .70 .70 2.4 .70
P .80 .15 .30 .30 1.4 .30
K .50 .25 .60 .40 .60 .90

Alfalfa Fish Emulsion
N 3 5
P 1 1
K 2 1

Also see http://www.geocities.com/nonamuss/organic_npk.html
for any adjustments you may want to make.

Organic fertilizers in general will have low N-P-K numbers. It is slow
release and the soil organisms will make their contribution as well.
Bigger isn't always better. With NPK, it just makes it easier to burn
your plants.

For my pepper patch (roughly 100 sq. ft.), I applied 18 lbs of
chicken manure, 2 cups of rock phosphate, 1 cup bone meal, 1 cup wood
ash, and mulched with alfalfa.

In some ways, you are fortunate to be growing n pots, because you
already have your soil analyzed, and you don't need to worry about
adding Epsom salts and such.

In the future, for growing in pots, I would rejuvenate my old soil
(unless you had some trouble with it, like wilt) with NPK sources, add
some organic material (5% - 10%), and feed with fish emulsion. With
experience, you will find what works best for you.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn