Old 27-06-2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Pesticide foodstuff database

In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

As well, I have to laugh about your use of the word use
"citations"

Wilson potificates; Glad you had a good giggle over 'citations.' My
dictionary includes ! 6. a
passage cited; quotation.
! 7. a quotation showing a particular word or phrase in context

And I think I can tell that you've probably consumed all the 'safe'
residues you can, and should stop eating immediately. Always found it
curious that no matter the mountain of evidence, empirical and anecdotal,
you will find people fighting tooth and nail to maintain the status quo. I
call that 'The Lemming Effect.'

How's that dictionary working out for ya. Mr. Wilson? I maintain that you
cite a passage or quotation and you reference a source. I also
recommend you reread what ya wrote and take it to heart?

The underlying problem with what you wrote is it is just fluff. " I think I
can tell that you've probably ". I'm sure it is all well meaning and
supportive
for your cause, timidly ad hominem for sure, but fluff never the less.

Please note the proviso in 7. a (above) .... "quotation showing a particular
word or phrase in context". "In context " being the key words here.
Something that is in very short supply on this NG. I think false information
and information taken out of context are two of the biggest faults about
the Internet, emails and causal writing in general, especially devoid on
this NG. These two are so easily spread around and oft cited as fact. Then
repeated in other papers as verified fact. I don't mind casual language,
yet I still believe there is a danger of using casual language in an
informational role. To me it stifles critical thinking skills and fails to
check the Bull Shit artist; .
i.e. "Chemferts(sic) kill micro organisms."

Such a broad generalization, yet it doesn't answer the basic interrogatives,
a meaningless slogan for the cause.

I hope you don't mind using you as an example here since you opened the
door. Let us take your comments " you've probably consumed all the 'safe'
residues you can, and should stop eating immediately" You see you do not
clarify what you are talking about in regards to the "safe"
residue and why I should "stop eating immediately" . are you are discussing
the EPA or perhaps it is the EU's safe standards . Since the many diverse
Organic
organizations use the EPA allowable limits. If you recall
we found the EPA standards being used by the USDA's AMS is the very same as
the pie chart driven "What's On My Plate" site. We can assume the EPA
standards, yes? But one should not assume.

BTW, your post would have been a classic "argument from authority" fallacy
outlined in Sagan's Fine Art of Boloney Detection if it was referenced.
What is "my dictionary" ? A edition of the Oxford English Dictionary
perhaps? I would not expect a full pedigree but some reference would have
been nice, something as simple as Webster's Jr, High pocket dictionary
would have been ok. None of the three I just looked up had what you quoted.
But since we do not know what dictionary you used, as my old instructor
liked to say, "it don't count for a hill of beans" .

To continue "Always found it curious ........Lemming effect. " Yes,
wilson, I find it curious also. There is always such gross generalization
applied with the all knowing nod and a wink , rarely anchored in anything of
substance. It gives just the right amount of plausible denial for self
righteous indignation, that bit of wiggle room for those that fail to
recognize their bias, as way to recover with the proviso "that is not what I
meant". That
is across the board not just your little group. Otherwise, how do I put
this... your
wording is a way for the timid to feel clever without serious confrontation
and having to use factual information.

Here is the original comment " So gunner, make your argument, and present
your citations. If you've been to school, you should know how it works".

I don't present a bunch of quotes to support my arguments and I certainly
don't cherry pick them to support a particuliarly biased view as practiced
here. i.e. observational selection.

I also remain unimpressed with someone listing a large group of links
especially when they obvisouly did not read them. One example of a reference
link I recall was used to compare conventional fertilizers with organic
fertilizers and in
just in the first couple of paragraphs the subject scientist was "cited" as
saying
one should not compare the two. A very incongruent message to send which
told me the writer did not do his job very well. Total fluff. Irealize one
should
not totally discount the argument because of one mistake but the entire post
decomposed into the standard, "you don't understand the world like I do"
trivial BS. You know the old wise and sage "Father Knows Best" thingie.

So let's keep our "facts" in proper context. A healthy sustainable world
is a very good goal, but in a reality check, I doubt seriously that we will
have at hand, not what we think we should have.

I'm still awaiting someone to explain how "Chemferts(sic) kill micro
organisms." without all the diversionary doom and gloom tangents.

apostrophes?

pg. 26
Negative impacts on the soil food web
Chemical fertilizers negatively impact the soil food web by killing off
entire_ portions of it. What gardener hasn't seen what table salt does
to a slug? Fertilizers are salts; they suck the water out of the
bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and_ nematodes in the soil. Since these
microbes are at the very foundation of the_ soil food web nutrient
system, you have to keep adding fertilizer once you start_ using it
regularly. The microbiology is missing and not there to do its job,
feeding the plants.
It makes sense that once the bacteria, fungi, nematodes, and protozoa
are_ gone, other members of the food web disappear as well. Earthworms,
for example, lacking food and irritated by the synthetic nitrates in
soluble nitrogen_ fertilizers, move out. Since they are major shredders
of organic material, their_ absence is a great loss. Without the
activity and diversity of a healthy food web, you not only impact the
nutrient system but all the other things a healthy soil_ food web
brings. Soil structure deteriorates, watering can become problematic,"_
pathogens and pests establish themselves and, worst of all, gardening
becomes_ a lot more work than it needs to be.

Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb.../dp/0881927775
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815176&sr= 1-1

Jeff Lowenfelds: EDUCATION: Harvard University, geology; Northeastern
University, law

I hope that holds you for the time being. I have important stuff to do,
but I'll be back to play with you ;O))
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn