Old 27-06-2009, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default size/number of new potatoes

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Paul Luton" wrote ...
We have just finished our first early potatoes, (Rocket). There were not
very many per plant but very large - up to 1 lb each. Is this a
characteristic of the variety or something about my cultivation ?

My booklet says...

" Rocket.. (1987) Possibly the earliest early around, producing huge crops
of uniform attractive white tubers."

So you probably left them in too long before cropping.

But crop would not have been "huge" in that case.

Suggestions for next year....
"Belle de Fontenay" or it's offspring "BF15" (slightly bigger tubers).
"International Kidney" (Jersey Royals but needs seaweed manure to get the
true flavour)
"Duke of York" (famous for flavour, can be floury wel old, also a Red D of
Y)

Thanks - will look for these.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames