Old 27-06-2009, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens,balt.general,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Gotta Start Killing Squirrels -- Hate To Do It

(Jack) wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:14:00 -0400, nada wrote:

-snip-
If you gonna shoot them put them into the freezer. Barbecued squirrel is
great.

There's so little meat on a gray squirrel; never understood why people
make such a fuss over them as food.

We used to figure 4 squirrels 'meated up' a spaghetti sauce just right
for 6 people. Maybe our greys are bigger than yours? [I've only
hunted them in NY] The labor/meat ratio is better than for
partridge or woodcock.

It has been a long time since I dressed one, but I'd guess a good one
went about 1-1 1/2 pounds.

Then you gotta worry about the bird shot while chewing. Several
acquaintances have fractured their teeth on pheasants that were killed
by shotgun.

Bad teeth or steel shot? Lead is pretty soft. But that's also why I
always used a .22 & head shot 'em.

Jim