Old 27-06-2009, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,balt.general,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural
AL AL is offline

Default Gotta Start Killing Squirrels -- Hate To Do It

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
(Jack) wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:14:00 -0400, nada wrote:

If you gonna shoot them put them into the freezer. Barbecued squirrel is
great.

There's so little meat on a gray squirrel; never understood why people
make such a fuss over them as food.

We used to figure 4 squirrels 'meated up' a spaghetti sauce just right
for 6 people. Maybe our greys are bigger than yours? [I've only
hunted them in NY] The labor/meat ratio is better than for
partridge or woodcock.

It has been a long time since I dressed one, but I'd guess a good one
went about 1-1 1/2 pounds.

That sounds like a mighty meaty gray's - around here they are way too
scrawy to eat, figure two per person. As a kid back on the farm I'd hunt
fox squirrels - plenty of tasty meat.