Old 28-06-2009, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Pesticide foodstuff database

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

I'm still awaiting someone to explain how "Chemferts(sic) kill micro
organisms." without all the diversionary doom and gloom tangents.

apostrophes?

pg. 26
Negative impacts on the soil food web
Chemical fertilizers negatively impact the soil food web by killing off
entire_ portions of it. What gardener hasn't seen what table salt does
to a slug? Fertilizers are salts; they suck the water out of the
bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and_ nematodes in the soil. Since these
microbes are at the very foundation of the_ soil food web nutrient
system, you have to keep adding fertilizer once you start_ using it
regularly. The microbiology is missing and not there to do its job,
feeding the plants.
It makes sense that once the bacteria, fungi, nematodes, and protozoa
are_ gone, other members of the food web disappear as well. Earthworms,
for example, lacking food and irritated by the synthetic nitrates in
soluble nitrogen_ fertilizers, move out. Since they are major shredders
of organic material, their_ absence is a great loss. Without the
activity and diversity of a healthy food web, you not only impact the
nutrient system but all the other things a healthy soil_ food web
brings. Soil structure deteriorates, watering can become problematic,"_
pathogens and pests establish themselves and, worst of all, gardening
becomes_ a lot more work than it needs to be.

Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb.../dp/0881927775
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815176&sr= 1-1

Jeff Lowenfelds: EDUCATION: Harvard University, geology; Northeastern
University, law

I hope that holds you for the time being. I have important stuff to do,
but I'll be back to play with you ;O))

Well shister, were you happy with the answer? It what way does it fall
short of your expectations? What else may I explain to that pea size
brain of yours, hmmmm?
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn