Old 28-06-2009, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default I am fed up...

On 2009-06-27 22:10:50 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
..with daffodils. The short period of colour is just not worth the long
untidy stage. I have cut them all back early this year and if they die
I won't be too disappointed.

I don't mind the untidy stage of daffodils, for me it's worth it/

I agree. They are a really cheerful sight at a miserable time of the year.

I think that like all choosing of what you grow where in your garden,
it's a question of space and personal taste. If space is limited,
daffodils are demanding and I agree that tubs are an excellent solution
and would suggest Tete a tete. If there's plenty of space, grow them
'wild' under trees and let the grass and leaves of the dying daffs take
over for a few weeks. If they're in borders, I don't like them but
that's a very personal viewpoint. The only way I can take them planted
in that fashion is if something comes up to hide their dying foliage.
If not, they dominate borders for far too long, IMO. But I must admit
that I can't imagine a spring without daffodils though ours are never
'tidy' and are scattered hither and yon.
--

Are you back from your holiday in Tesco already? )

We have thick fog here. From spring to summer and into autumn all in one week

Indeed we are - it was 5 days of sheer relaxation and 'do nothing'
gorgeousness. I must admit that daffs were far from our minds at that
point, too! Grey and misty here today but we could use some rain!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon