Old 29-06-2009, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Herb or plant that repels flies?

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:

Deet sounds like the bees knees so to speak. It will be fun asking for
deet at the pharmacy here in France. If I ask if they have deet; it will
likely cause confusion as deet (pronounced deet) means "has spoken". So
it would be like going into a chemist in England and asking the
pharmcist if they have spoken. Oh the joys of communicating in bad French.

Actually, it's pretty ineffective. The substance that worked a lot
better was DMP, but that was banned many decades ago, on the grounds
that it was carcinogenic. I believe that it is still used in some
countries on the grounds that the risk from cancer is smaller than
that from malaria, yellow fever etc. etc. That is, after all, why
people took prophylactic quinine, despite it causing deafness and
peripheral neuropathy.

But it's about the best that you can get in Europe ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.