Old 29-06-2009, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default Herb or plant that repels flies?

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

I don't know if DEET is authorized in France, but it is the best
available, normally. If you get some, let me know what it's called.
I have some 23% from the US, which I sprayed liberally before going
out to mulch a field (sadly not enough farmers left here to want the
extra hay, and its very good this year), the horse flies stayed off
for a couple of minutes then were as thick as ever. They pretty much
ignored the DEET, and I don't know anything better.

23% is not strong enough - buy the 100% stuff it works. They hate the stuff.

This is what I have used:-

http://abc-wholesale.amazonwebstore....ource=GB&id=uk

I can say that very time I have used that - whilst out on cycle trips,
sweating copiously in such a way that normally attracts clouds of flies
(lovely mental vision there ... not!) I have not been bitten or stung. Yet
without it, being bitten or stung is normal for me. Sigh...