Old 29-06-2009, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Herb or plant that repels flies?

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Deet sounds like the bees knees so to speak. It will be fun asking for
deet at the pharmacy here in France. If I ask if they have deet; it will
likely cause confusion as deet (pronounced deet) means "has spoken". So
it would be like going into a chemist in England and asking the
pharmcist if they have spoken. Oh the joys of communicating in bad French.

Actually, it's pretty ineffective.

That's news to me. It has always worked well for me including when used in the
tropics in S America.

Maybe African insects are less easily put off - certainly, the diseases
they carry are worse (or, at least, more prevalent).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.