Old 29-06-2009, 04:59 PM posted to free.uk.trade.furniture,uk.rec.gardening,alt.business.import-export.raw-material,uk.d-i-y,free.uk.gardening
ship ship is offline

Default Wessex Teak - Am I mad to buy from them? (Planning to buy largeteak garden table...)

On Jun 20, 5:41*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
ship wrote:
Hi

I am thinking of buying some teak furniture

snip

I hope you'll check where the teak comes from (FSC logo is a good enough
recommendation).

They don't seem to mention it, which might mean that their teak is
obtained by clear-felling rain forests. *In the process most of the
wildlife is destroyed, the unusable small branches burned (adding to
global warming) and the earth left in a state where it produces a few
good crops - then washes out to sea,leaving a wet desert useless for
anything, neither the environment nor the local residents.

Andy

Hi Andy

FSC - is a good question!
They do talk about "sustainable sources"
http://www.wessexteak.com/product.asp?v06VQ=FKI

All made from the finest plantation teak imported from sustainable forestry sources ...

There again words are cheap!
I'll email them for better proof.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe