Old 29-06-2009, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Herb or plant that repels flies?

Emery Davis wrote:

The horse flies are intolerable this year, not quite sure why.

I flattened another four this afternoon while working in the garage.
They are persistent little devils, just swishing them away doesn't work
they keep coming back until they are allowed to land ... then SWOT!
I've only seen the odd one or two in previous years, this year there
seems to be a plague of them.

I don't know if DEET is authorized in France, but it is the best
available, normally.

I will ask at the local pharmacy, possibly the veterinary pharmacy may
be better - and cheaper. A little Googling shows it to be used
extensively for horses, though I don't know about in France.

P.S. David, saw your thunderstorm the other day, impressive. Whole
sky was lit up, the power cutting in and out with the strikes. But
we hardly got a drop of rain from it, all went north your way.

The rain was the fastest/hardest I've seen since living in France.
Luckily we are in a position unlikely to flood.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.