Old 29-06-2009, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Herb or plant that repels flies?

David in Normandy wrote:
Does anyone know of a herb or plant that can be rubbed onto the skin
that repels biting flies? I swatted four horse flies yesterday while
working in the garden. Luckily they seem fairly slow and clumsy and
are generally easy to swat before they take a bite. However, I still
managed to get a bite on my leg. I dislike having to wear jeans in
the garden on hot days rather than shorts just because of the biting
insects.
The wife has a terrible reaction when bit - the last bite made her
whole forearm swell up and go red, it was touch and go whether she
needed anti-biotics, but on this occasion the swelling went down
after a few days. On other occasions she hasn't been so lucky.

Anyone recommend any leaves that can be rubbed on the skin that really
work as a fly deterrent? It doesn't matter if they smell horrible
because it is only for use at home in the garden. If such a plant
exists it will be well worth buying and growing.

Garlic is used for horses in the UK, it's sprinkled in their feed and it
does work to some extent.
Personally I've never had any joy with any of the DEET formulations,
especially for skeeters and midges, the latter being prominent in the
Limousin area which I visit regularly.

some herbal suggestions here, although I can't vouch for them:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...q =herb+insec
--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008