Old 30-06-2009, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
jeff jeff is offline

Default levelling - dig down or add up?

mphowells wrote:
mphowells;853645 Wrote:
The idea was to have a bank with a step in it down from the patio.

I intend on building a retaining wall with sleepers whether I go option
1 or 2. If option 1 then the wall will be on the left of the picture, if
option 2 then on the right.

I'm aware it's a fair bit of work but I want a flat garden and I'm just
looking for support that I'm not completely crazy and living in the
clouds. I always see people build their garden up rather than dig it
down, is it just because of the manual work involved - which I actually
quite enjoy on a hot summers day as replacement for training!

after your comments and standing in my back garden I think maybe going
with building the garden up on the left and slightly skimming of the
'hiils' on the right is the way forward. It truely is a huge amount of
work digging down that far to match the left!

Or just terrace it. I find this to be far more visually interesting
and you have many advantages with drainage, keeping your fence line, and
not having to dig so deep. I would think 6 1' steps.

That will work with Davids splitting suggestion.

I really like the terraced work I've done or seen. So much that large
flat gardens seem, well, dull. Really dull.

jeff

hopefully I can still get away with one retaining wall on the left and
not too much loss of pivacy!!!6555555