Old 29-06-2009, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato problem

In article ,
Wally wrote:
A couple of my potatoes where looking a bit sick and
laying flat, so not knowing what the prob was I dug
one of them up to see what lay beneath.
All the potatoes seemed OK but quite small and not
fully developed.
The only thing that I could see that may be the trouble
was red ants although they don't seem to have attacked
the tubers.
Do ants affect root crops, should I be concerned about them
and lastly how do I get rid of them???

No.

Look on the roots of the potatoes; if you see small (c. 1mm) spheres
of translucent whatever, you have eelworm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.