Old 30-06-2009, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default ID this, please

In article ,
says...
phorbin said:

In article -
september.org,
says...

Are the stems round, or are they (at least slighty) square?

It almost looks like it could be some sort of exotic basil-ish sort
of thing, which would have square stems. But I can't convince
myself one way or the other, based on the pictures.

Juat noting that basil is easily tested for by squashing a leaf and
smelling it.

Hard to do that with a picture. 8^)

And some of the more exotic Asian/Thai basils I've tried, while very
aromatic, don't exactly look, taste, or smell like the more familiar
Italian basils.

We grow ocimum sanctum which is quite has a different scent and a
somewhat different conformation from the basic spice basils but I'd bet
that any basil leaf would tend to smell quite different from a crushed
spinach leaf :-)

That said, We have a red kale variety (we got from a friend who got it
from a friend) that smells like a mild incense when cooked. Raw, it has
a milder than usual but distinctive brassica scent and taste.