Old 30-06-2009, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Trashed allotment

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
My daughter has had her allotment ruined, she grows flowers shrubs etc.
at home and keeps the allotment for vegetables and soft fruit, She is
very
keen gardener and competes at local flower shows etc. Her allotment is
or was organic and she grows herbs amongst the veg, I am telling you
this cos it says the sort of gardener she is. However a few days ago
someone put weedkiller all over the plants and yesterday after being
away for a camping weekend she found that someone had pulled up all
the plants and burnt the lot. She knows who it was but cannot contact
them, the fact that the person involved is of limited intelligence makes
it
almost impossible to take the matter further. I feel so sad for her :-(

kate

I am sorry to read that. Your poor daughter. Perhaps a call to the
police will prevent something similar happening again or to someone
else. Don't allotment holders have a sort of board of organisers or
similar?

IIRC the same thing happened to Bob some time ago. He was -
unsurprisingly - very upset at the time.
--
June Hughes

I want to thank everyone for their kind concern and comments. My daughter
does not want to involve the police as they are a small community but she
is getting in contact with all the other people who have allotments on the
same site to tell them who did what and ask them to watch out for the
individual who is guilty. He is still avoiding her but he cannot hide
forever. In the meantime she is going to restock and start growing again.
One problem is that she does not know what sort of weedkiller was used but
until she tries she will not know, thanks again I will make sure that she
reads the group, she will appreciate all the comments, I will keep you all
posted to further developments

We live in N. Wiltshire. Last weekend someone went round the allotments we
belong to and trashed some of them. Some of our onions were pulled out and
thrown at other trashers since the onions were then found on nearby
allotments. The allotment holder next to us had several of his sweetcorn
plants torn out and thrown around. We found a broken plastic chair turfed
into the middle of our allotment. Previously, vandals have broken into
peoples' sheds and destroyed things in there and stolen tools. I'm sure the
trashers were just having "fun", throwing onions and such, but...

My partner phoned the police the next morning and spent about half an hour
discussing this "crime"; and then this morning the police phoned back again
to make "further enquiries", including if there were fingerprints on the
plastic chair (!). I'm sure we all have these so-called neighbourhood
police around, well, they're not useful at 2 in the afternoon, we need them
down our allotments on a Saturday night about midnight to catch the buggers.

Your daughter may live in a small community, but she's doing nobody any
favours by protecting this person from the law because she thinks he's of
"limited intelligence". This is not an excuse to pour weedkiller on someone
else's garden. Tell the police, and let the community deal with it.

someone