Old 16-04-2003, 12:20 AM
andrewpreece

Default Pear problems

I have two pears, both smallish, a Conference and a Williams. The
Conference has
little red dots/blisters on nearly all the emerging leaves. I read this is
due to a mite
infestation and that I should remove and burn all the infected leaves. I
have removed
now the bulk of the leaves on the poor thing, and am concerned I am doing
more
harm than good. Any ideas?
The Williams is free from pear mite, but in previous years suffered
from total
infestation of the buds by pear midge. Last year I removed all the infected
fruits,
but today ( warm ) I noticed lots of small midge-like insects taking an
interest in the
buds ( as well as pollen-beetles ). I feel like giving up the ghost with
pears. Does
anyone out there have any answers??????

Andy