Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default Trashed allotment

"Clive" wrote in message

"Angela" wrote in message
om...

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
| My daughter has had her allotment ruined, she grows flowers shrubs etc.
at
| home and keeps the allotment for vegetables and soft fruit, She is very
keen
| gardener and competes at local flower shows etc. Her allotment is or
was
| organic and she grows herbs amongst the veg, I am telling you this cos
it
| says the sort of gardener she is. However a few days ago someone put
| weedkiller all over the plants and yesterday after being away for a
camping
| weekend she found that someone had pulled up all the plants and burnt
the
| lot. She knows who it was but cannot contact them, the fact that the
person
| involved is of limited intelligence makes it almost impossible to take
the
| matter further. I feel so sad for her :-(
|
| kate

It's criminal damage - she should contact the police - even if nothing
can
be done a visit from the police would go a long way in making sure she/he
doesn't do it again!

The Police will only visit the accused person IF there is evidence to
prove
beyond reasonable doubt that he/she comitted the offence. If there were
any witnesses or CCTV or even an admission from the person this will be
a start. You think you know who it is, but proving it is another thing.

Sadly that is my experience with police. I still think the matter should be
reported to the police though. It may be that they are already aware of the
person and this will help them form part of a 'bigger picture' and be the
incident that causes them to take action. It may be that the police decide
to 'have a word' in the ear of the person and the matter is dealt with that
way - I have known this to happen on occasion. It may be that the person
needs to be taken into care if this is the actions they take when in the
community - so again, this is another reason it should be formally reported.
'Limited intelligence' is not an excuse or reason to allow violent action to
be tolerated, and violent action is what has happened to the OP's
dauughter's allotment. Not being funny, but if a person 'limited
intelligence' or otherwise is allowed to have violent tendencies go
unchecked, it may result in the level of violence escalating. Plants trashed
one day can lead to animals trashed the next and upwards. It is a known
trend.