Old 01-07-2009, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie[_5_] Bobbie[_5_] is offline

Default Trashed allotment

Kate Morgan wrote:
My daughter has had her allotment ruined, she grows flowers shrubs etc.
at home and keeps the allotment for vegetables and soft fruit, She is
very keen gardener and competes at local flower shows etc. Her allotment
is or was organic and she grows herbs amongst the veg, I am telling you
this cos it says the sort of gardener she is. However a few days ago
someone put weedkiller all over the plants and yesterday after being
away for a camping weekend she found that someone had pulled up all the
plants and burnt the lot. She knows who it was but cannot contact them,
the fact that the person involved is of limited intelligence makes it
almost impossible to take the matter further. I feel so sad for her :-(

kate

That is so sad, so unfortunate. The allotment that my husband had before
we moved here and were able to establish a veggie patch, was vandalised,
quite seriously. The shed broken into and several tools stolen. Plants
including almost a complete potato crop just pulled up and strewn around
the allotments. He wasn't alone, several plot holders received the same
mindless damage done to their plots. Almost a whole years planning and
planting and care, gone in one evening. The damage was done by young
hooligans with nothing better to do, than climb the allotment fence and
reek havoc on what was the favoured past-time and in some cases an
attempt at self sufficiency by lots of very nice people.
The police said there was nothing they could do, so they did nothing.
The allotment holders even started a vigil but it didn't last, and
thankfully, I think the very presence of the police gave the
perpetrators a warning, and as far as I am aware they never returned.
I feel for your daughter, all that hard work. I do hope that something
can be done about it. I rather liked the suggestion made by another
poster, to involve the person suspected of the damage.

--
http://thingamabobs.co.uk/imagesofcanfordheath7.html

http://smudgespatch.co.uk/newhome3.html