Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Tony Stygal Tony Stygal is offline
Registered User

Hi Tom sounds like a good Idea, when I built mine I had a sloping garden so I had virtually the same problem I dug out the slope and then used Railway sleepers to build the sides. This gave me a raised pond and garden which protected the fish from children and children from falling in. Obviously you can then make the pond as deep as you like. Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsimmons View Post
Hello Folks

New on here, thought I'd have a look around see what people are up to etc.

I'm planning on building a pond in my garden. Always wanted one, but the bedrock is so close to the surface it's not easy. Anyhow I was inspired by a variation on a pond I saw being made on Gardeners World. They used a length of commercial waste pipe, the stuff that is used for major utility piping. They pretty much sat it on the surface, put a liner in it, filled it with water, then made the sides presentable with a slate wall.

Now strangely enough I've not been able to find an off cut of such pipe, so I'm still working on the wall, but I'm going to excavate as deep as I can, which may only be 8 inches. Stand the wall in there, then I'm thinking of building a rockery all around the pond.

The final result will probably be about 2 foot deep and 5 foot diameter (approx 60 cm deep by 1.5m diameter). The added bonus I have here is that if I can't get any depth, then I could just stand it on the ground and be go from there.

Tom