Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!

(MICHELLE H.) wrote in
:

We try to keep the lawn the lawn as "natural" as possible, as
last year we ONLY did the Scotts "Weed Control", as we had a
problem with Dandelions EVERYWHERE throughout the yard. Not like
1 or 2 Dandelions, but hundreds!!!

This year, there was hardly any Dandelions at all, just TONS of
clover growing everywhere at a rapid rate. Our whole side yard,
was almost nothing but pure clover.

yeah, i have lots of dandelions. they're delicious in the spring, &
the yellow flowers are so cheery. makes a nice wine too.
i also have plaintain, both broad & narrow leaf. the tortoises are
particularly fond of those (as are the goats). i rather like the
plaintain growing along the garden fence. it's choked out the grass
that used to runner spread into the veggies. hate that grass. of
course, plaintain grows best in compressed soil...
see, a "natural" lawn in my area isn't likely to have much actual
grass in it. grass, at least pretty, fine leaved grass, isn't really
a native plant. so, most of what i have is what Scott's would call
"broad leafed weeds". i could waste hundreds of dollars on weed
control, grass fertilizer, etc, but why? to grow something that isn't
natural? seems pretty silly to me.
also, fescues, which are a large proportion of lawn grasses, tend to
be host to a fungus that is extremely toxic to livestock. might not
seem like a problem in suburbia, but grasses seed & birds transport
those seeds....
lee