Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jeff jeff is offline

Default cucumbers and water

wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 13:54:03 -0400, jeff wrote:

So, I've been making some observations on how much water my garden
needs, I have the usual assortment of beginning gardener vegetables.
Plus blueberries, cantaloupes and honeydews.

Topping out the need water category seems to be the cucumbers! It's
in the 90's here and even though I water them in the morning they seem
very droopy by afternoon and I give them more water. I'm thinking that
if a plant's leaves are drooping over, I should water it.

Bell Pepper is next on the list of being thirsty and carrots seem
indifferent. Tomatoes also seem tolerant.

What adjustments should I make?

Jeff

Cukes are mostly water and so need lots of water. Watering deeply is
better than watering frequently. Basically, you're trying to simulate
rain. Unfortunately, once you start watering, there's no turning back.
(I've started watering this week - I use watering cans

Me too, I like the control. Haven't had a good rain for a while after
a wet spring.

Tomorrow, I'll really douse them early. Seems like each plant is
getting about a gallon a day. That soil gets hot!

and focus on a
crop each day. Later in the season I'll get desparate and try watering
everyone to keep them going if we go into drought conditions again.)

Hope you get better responses than mine.

I'd say the cukes are my most successful vegetable so far, each plant
has a good size cuke on it, with more starting. Do you know when I
should harvest?

Jeff

Kate