Old 01-07-2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default cucumbers and water

In article , jeff
wrote:

So, I've been making some observations on how much water my garden
needs, I have the usual assortment of beginning gardener vegetables.
Plus blueberries, cantaloupes and honeydews.

Topping out the need water category seems to be the cucumbers! It's
in the 90's here and even though I water them in the morning they seem
very droopy by afternoon and I give them more water. I'm thinking that
if a plant's leaves are drooping over, I should water it.

What is the soil like under your cucumbers? Is it damp? If so, further
watering won't help. What is happening is that your cucumbers are
evaporating water to stay cool. They are no longer expending energy on
growth, but on pumping water. If you are at home, you may want to go and
mist your plants, when they start to droop. If you aren't home, you may
need to attach a mister to a timer. Both these methods will lead to an
early infestation of powdery mildew. Some kind of netting to partially
block the sun may work, but I have no experience with it. Hopefully,
some one else in the group is more knowledgeable than I in this area.

Secondly, mulch the ground around the base of your plants, with leaves,
straw, compost to reduce evaporation.

Bell Pepper is next on the list of being thirsty and carrots seem
indifferent. Tomatoes also seem tolerant.

What adjustments should I make?

Jeff

--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/7/1/headlines#4
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn