View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  
Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shmoe View Post
Hi everyone,

I live in the UK and have just planted a Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Lama Tempel' in my garden and have some questions.

The soil is around the 6.0 - 6.2 ph that I am told Bamboos like. It would also get a good amount of sun throughout the day, but the site is quite windy.

1) I believe this bamboo is a runner and not a clumper, and I haven't installed a root barrier. I am happy for the bamboo to roam within 3meter radius of where I have planted it but is it likely to expand much past this distance in years to come ?
P Aureosulcata is one of the more "inquisitive" Phyllostachys that you can grow in Britain, but, in British conditions it is not very invasive like some other bamboos you can grow here such as Sasa and Yushania spp. It is known to be really rather invasive in warmer climates, and you've been shown some pictures of what it can do in the south of France, but most places in Britain, it won't do that. Though if you are in a mild and damp part of Britain such as the south coast, it will be more invasive. Aureosulcata's general tendency is to send off one long rhizome in one direction, creating a long line of volunteers - you can see a photo of this in Paul Whitaker's book - not invade uncontrollably in all directions. So I expect that in practice, with plenty of space, you will be able to control it. Ideally one grows it surrounded by lawn and then the lawnmower will do most of what is needed. I've got a P. vivax aureocaulis, also a bit thuggish, I grow surrounded by lawn, and the lawn-mower keeps it in place.