Old 02-07-2009, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Blasted -- Sunflower and Pepper

The Ranger said:

Pat Kiewicz wrote in message
-

september.org...
The Ranger said:

[snip]
Everything started out GREAT. I used Miracle Grow
garden as my base.

Did you mean to write that you used Miracle-Gro Garden
*Soil* as a base and, if so, what is the soil under that like?

sigh Yes... I did mean to include "soil" in the original note... =8^\

OK, Miracle-Gro garden soil is not meant to be used in containers.
By their own discription, it is for in ground plants and is meant to be
mixed with soil.

It is far too heavy for use in containers and your plants may well be
suffering from root-rot.

The drainage layer is limestone rock. The plants are in 8" X 48" red oak
planter boxes.

Container plants don't need a drainage layer of rocks. That's a planting
myth that just doesn't seem to die!! (And limestone rocks would be a
doubly bad choice as limestone is very alkaline.)

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%2...Horticultural%
20Myths_files/Myths/Container%20drainage.pdf

or, http://tinyurl.com/l2b9dm

Do your planter boxes have drainage holes at all?

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored