Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!

"enigma" wrote in message
(MICHELLE H.) wrote in
:

I don't know the actual square feet of the lawn, but do know
that it is 0.11 acres, and we used 2 full bags of 5,000 square
foot Scotts "Weed Control" fertilizer.

0.11 acres is 4791.6 square feet, so you over fertilized & killed
your grass. if each bag was for 5000 square feet, you've *really* got
a problem now! i seriously hope you don't live anywhere near a pond
or stream, or an aquafer...
don't they teach reading comprehension and basic math in school
anymore? i was lacking sympathy when you called clover a "weed", but
dumping double the amount of fertilizer/weed killer on an area is
egregarious stupidity! you should be reported to the EPA.
sheesh.
lee

Why do you need to be such a negativeity pinhead (don't bother to answer, I
already know you are an ignoranus). It's obvious that the 0.11 acres
(gleaned from a tax plat or survey) is a small city/surburban lot, and is
the entire lot (house, driveway, walkways, patio, bedding plants, etc., and
lawn), so there's probably no more than 2,500 sq ft of actual lawn, likely
less. Not everyone lives on rural property with acres of lawn. With many
subdivisions and village properties one has no choice but to maintain a
"standard" lawn, and if not the elected officials will and charge the
property owner. To me it appears that this person is a lawn newbie and is
attempting to learn, why else would he post here for help. When chemicals
are applied properly they do no environmental harm. In this case the OP has
applied more than four times the recommended amount and probably
underwatered. The lawn is damaged but not destroyed. Water generously
every day without applying any more chemicals until the lawn revives. And
then continue with the Scott program (which also includes proper mowing) but
I would recommend applying no more than 1/2 the recommended quantity of
chemicals and only increase the amounts as one observes and learns how that
particular piece of ground responds... using lawn chemicals is exactly like
adding salt to stew. There is much to learn about growing lawns but when
chemicals are applied intelligently there are no negative aspects
whatsoever. Many, like myself, who have acres of lawn would also like to
keep a golf course lawn for at least a portion, but for the expense. I live
within walking distance of four major golf courses that each maintains
hundreds of acres of pristine lawn, when chemicals are properly applied
there is no negative environmental impact... just because you are totally
ignorant about lawns (and most everything) doesn't mean everyone else is.