Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Bit by swarm of bees

wrote in message

I was out at dusk stuffing leaves and twigs into a plastic bag that
have been in a pile since last fall. I was attacked by a swarm of tiny
bees. I was swatting them off for a short while, but they prevailed
and ran me off. I think they had yellow bodies with black stripes.
They got me in both hands and arms, shoulders and face. Stings burn
like the dickens. I've never seen this variety before.
Anyone know what kind of bees they might be?

Sounds more like hornets to me. I would not call yellow jackets "tiny" and
hornets tend to be more agressive, at least around here, and are very
territorial. I've had them chase me for hundreds of feet. They live in
holes in the ground.