Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Bigal Bigal is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
David Hare-Scott wrote:
jeff wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
jeff wrote:

snip

All cucurbits struggle in the heat not just cucumbers. The reason is
that they have big soft leaves that lose water quickly due to both
evaporation and transpiration. On a well grown plant the root system
can be huge

snip

OK, I have a couple bags of cyprus mulch. How much should I put down?
An inch or two? The soil is reasonably good.

I don't know anything about cypress but normally put down 2 in of fairly
compact mulch or more if it is likely to compact down quickly.

OK, I mulched with cypress which is shredded cypress, fairly light in color.

It's noon on a sunny hot day, it'll get hotter. Temperature
measurements with my IR thermometer are yielding between 10F and 20F
*cooler* with the cypress mulch. I'm thinking this by itself is very
good! Cool.

The very darkest (near black) soil is almost 30F hotter.

Jeff

snip
Some cucumber varieties will get bitter if the female flowers get pollinated, which is why some varieties are produced to grow female flowers only. Usually grown in greenhouses, which is wher I grow mine in the UK. I grow them in pots with a tray underneath to hold excess water, and I am quite happy to leave them with their feet in water for a few days at a time.
Bigal