Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trashed allotment

Martin wrote:

Ditto French traffic police?

Years ago, I was a passenger in a hire car in Versailles that was hit by a car
driving at speed, both cars were a write off. The police arrived, being aliens
it was all our fault, until with a bit of prompting, the police noticed the
other driver smelt of drink, had no driving licence, the car was untaxed and
uninsured BUT the driver was the chauffeur of a lawyer with a Champs Elysées
address and he was driving her car. We had to wait while she drove from Paris.
She admitted it was all her drivers fault, the lack of insurance etc. were
oversights. Three months later the guy who had been driving the car I was in,
received a nominal fine through the post and a letter saying that it had been
decided he was responsible fir the accident.

Ouch! I have no personal experience with the French police. Asked one
for directions once that's all. However, I do get the impression that
France is more a country of "who you know" i.e. low level corruption
than the UK. I think there tends to be racism towards foreigners in all
countries too to a certain extent. Add the two together and it fits your
accident outcome. It all adds to my general feeling that police are best
avoided - if possible!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.