Old 03-07-2009, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! Brooklyn1....

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
We used 10,000 square feet of fertilizer, on a 2,500 square foot lawn,
so this shows that our 10 to 12 year old drop spreader malfunctioned,
and it put down way too much fertilizer.

We will follow your advice, and give the lawn plenty of water, and hope
that the roots can regenerate, and HOPEFULLY some Green grass will start
to grow back!?

Once the grass begins to rejuvenate wait for a cool wet spell and over seed
with a sparse application of grass seed. If your grass does not rejuvenate
then you will need to begin from square one. Don't apply too much seed, if
it stands in piles it will begin to compost and the heat generated will kill
the seed.... with lawns everything in moderation, less is more, even too
much water will harm a lawn. From now on use a hand held broadcast spreader
(provides more accuracy with smaller lawns) and cut all settings by half...
do NOT fall into the trap of adding a bit more with the thought of being
generous... be miserly... when applying any lawn chemicals including
fertilzer pretend you're salting a pot of stew. And don't permit children
and especially pets to walk on a freshly treated lawn, and leave your
gardening footwear outdoors. A good idea to remove all gardening clothing
and launder immediately, separately, and shower immediately too. Never
permit children, pets, or anyone, help treat a lawn. In most municipalities
these days flagging a freshly treated lawn is manditory.