Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
John - Pa. John - Pa. is offline

Default Jul3 - 09A_3563_Yellow-Clivia.jpg

Here is something that I am pleased with and have to show off. This is
a yellow Clivia houseplant that I have grown from seed, with its first
flower. This was germinated in March 2006. In case you are not
impressed, yellow Clivia are still unusual (the common ones are
orange) and although they cost a lot less than they used to, you can
still pay nearly $100 for a flowering plant. The seed is not cheap
either. I bought a package of 2 seeds for $20 in 2006 from Parks
Seeds, and they "guaranteed" that at least one would come out yellow.
Both seeds germinated for me, but the second plant has not flowered
yet. This specimen doesn't have the usual long Clivia flower stalk,
but I have read that this might be because I did not give the plant a
period of cool dry dormancy. I'll try that this winter.

Canon 1DmkIII; EF70-200 f2.8L IS; 135mm; f8; ISO-100; 1/200-sec
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
Jul3  - 09A_3563_Yellow-Clivia.jpg-09a_3563_yellow-clivia.jpg