Old 16-04-2003, 01:56 AM
amethyst butterfly

Default Can I have timber bamboo?

Oh, forgot to ask. Do deer eat bamboo? I bet you they do.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"A woman is like a teabag, only in hot water do you realize how strong she
is." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Djubaya" wrote in message
The wind would be an issue if it was semi regular in the 'growing

season'...
summer and fall. Wind in the winter is fine as long as you have enough

water
on the roots. If it is strong enough to blow it over stake the plants for
the first couple years (probably want to do this any way)

The barrier should be rigid not flexible. Call Bamboo Sourcery in

Sebastopol
707-823-5866 for info on the type they

have.
I believe it is a 60 mil plastic sheet, also helps with gophers. The slick
surface of the membrane will cause the rhizome to slide along it rather

than
push into it and possibly through it.

Henon seems to be a drought tolerant variety although if you can keep it
moist in the hottest months it tends to be more vigorous.

I went and thinned the Henon today, in fact, and it is in very nice shape
for a three year old grove.

Good luck,

Djubaya

Wind? Barrier? Oh, guess I better do more research. I'm in Chico.

Yes,
to winter wind. Not as bad as the folks in the rice fields, but we do

get
some gusts that knock over a wooden 2-seater glider chair...

Barrier? Darn, I was thinking that a horizontal barrier would be

enough.
did a search of this newsgroup in Google and it looks like I need a

barrier
that goes down 24"??? Whoa!! Can I use Permalon? I used it when I

lined
my pond. Pretty strong stuff. It's sold at
http://www.reefindustries.com/permalon.html ...? However, I'd sure
hate
have to dig it up and put in something else in a few years.

Looks like I better do alot more reading before I decide about bamboo.

Thank you for the insight.

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today

of
its strength." Charles Spurgeon

"Djubaya" wrote in message
Wendy,

A question is how much wind do you get? If there is too much any

timber
bamboo will tend to be stunted. If you get good summer heat P. Henon,

P.
Vivax or P. Bambusoides will all do well. They all will tend to max

out
in
N. Cal at 50 ft. or so... with P. Bambusoides being the tallest.

If you want a clumper, I believe B. Oldhamii will be the tallest.

If you are near Sonoma County I have a grove of P. Bambusoides & P.

Henon
want to thin, if you are interested.

The site you choose should have a physical barrier around it because

if
you
create conditions suitable to grow the Boo this tall and healthy it

will
tend to run... even under concrete and asphalt.

Remember plenty of mulch and summer water.

Good luck,

Djubaya

"amethyst butterfly" wrote in message
I am new to bamboo and I would love to tall (70-80?) bamboo. I

think
have
a spot for it. Please give me your opinions.

I am in zone 8b winter temps, zone 9a summer. The summers are hot

with
no
humidity. We live in a canyon, sorta country-ish, 8 hours sun. The

soil
is
only 2' deep, with tailings below, however, this area will be

irrigated
as
well as there was a fig seedling growing there, so there might be a

spring
under there? The site is 70' from a creek. The area is approx 20'

15'.
Although I think I will end up with clumping bamboo, the area is
triangular
and completely surrounded by 5" thick concrete with blacktop

(asphalt)
over
it. One side of the blacktop is against our parking area, the other

2
sides
have a walkway, about 2' wide. Sorry if this is too descriptive.

I would love very tall bamboo. The property has several mature

trees,
including a 70' redwood, so I don't think tall bamboo would look out

of
place? Can I have timber bamboo? What varieties grow well in my

area?
Could I put 2 different varieties in this area or would one look

better
(how
could I ever select just one???)?

Other questions are, where is a good place to buy? Any tricks on

when
buy? Is there such a thing as bareroot?

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"You might not always get what you want, but you always get what you
expect." Charles Spurgeon