Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JB[_1_] JB[_1_] is offline

Default Snake Stealing Goldfish

It was really hot and dry around here a couple of weeks ago. We'd just come
off the wettest May in recorded history so, up until then, we hadn't had to
water anything - the yard, flower beds, etc. But old time summer was back
again. I began watering the yard late in the afternoon and every 45 minutes
to an hour or so would go out to move the water hose around. It was getting
about twilight and my little dog and I were going out to move the sprinkler
when I happened to glance down and see a black colored snake about 3 feet
long with a goldfish sideways in it's mouth. The goldfish was about 5 - 6
inches long, a little bit smaller than the palm of my hand. I'm guessing the
snake had captured it in the pond and taken it out of the water where it
would be at an advantage and attempt to swallow it. I say attempt because I
don't see how the snake could have given the size of the fish.

Anyways, I was startled, the snake was startled. The snake released the
goldfish and high tailed it to an opening in the block behind my filter
falls. (The same escape route used by the water moccasin I posted about last
year. This was not a water moccasin, however.) Note to self: close off
opening with Great Stuff!) The goldfish was bleeding just the slightest bit
and flopping on the soil so I picked it up and released it back into the
pond. It seemed to be OK; startled but OK.

That's my story.

JB