Old 16-04-2003, 02:20 AM
John Savage

Default smelly plants

"Stephanie Franklin" writes:
My wife is blind and I want to create a garden using fragrant plants. We

Others have given some excellent suggestions. I love the fragrance of
lantana on a hot afternoon, and it's water frugal. Rather than grow
the common pink & yellow flowered one (noxious weed), you can get some
that don't seed. On one of the radio gardening programs recently, it
was said that the white lantana is the most attractive of the lantanas
to butterflies. The white flowers seem to have a stronger bouquet than
the deep purple, but the whites have smaller flower heads. Speaking of
butterflies, how about the buddlea? It does droop on a hot day, but is
going to be hardier than annuals. :-) The classic lavender-coloured
buddlea is the strongest scented of all the colours.

I like the scent of orange and lemon blossom, and with these you get
fruit as a bonus!

Sweet peas can probably be grown in a pot and they climb so are easier
to enjoy outside (no bending) and can be cut and enjoyed inside as
well.

The common jasmin is too overpowering to be grown near the house.
The frangipani is deciduous, so can be grown outside a window and
provides shade in summer and allows sun through during late winter to
spring.

Water frugal, eh? Then how about a cactus that produces edible fruit?
I don't know that the flowers will be scented, but a blind person can
enjoy the fruit (and that might be something special). I don't really
mean the prickly pear, there are others. Though you will have to be
patient until it reaches the bearing stage.
--
John Savage (newsgroup email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)