Old 06-07-2009, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. is offline

Default Ant infestation of Gardenia - how to get rid of them

Penelope wrote:

The ants are only indirectly the problem, but nothing I'm getting
from this guy says he's much interested in anything but killing the
ants. Spinosad products used as a soil drench are not going to kill
any bees, and are not going to linger in the environment. Instead of
running in circles and shrieking "The sky is falling, the sky is
falling!" , why not encourage his fumbling efforts to use a less
harmful product?

Please note my original question was: 'Has anyone used a Spinosad product on gardenias
with success?'

Understood from the radio program's host that Spinosad is an organic product - a good
thing.

Reading from the Dow AgroSciences site - 'Spinosad is derived through the fermentation of
a naturally occurring organism. It uniquely combines the efficacy of synthetic products
with the benefits of biological insect pest control products.'

Whether it kills ants or repels them was not the question.

Wanted to find out what experience others had to determine if the product can be used on
gardenias without damaging / injuring the plant.

Regards,

Doug