Old 06-07-2009, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Artichokes not budding

I have eight globe artichoke plants. I bought them last year, and they grew
all summer but never got any buds.

This year, they have grown quite well, but there is still no sign of buds.
I don't do much to them--no amendments, no tilling, no pruning. I pull the
grasses and weeds around them, and water them with drip lines for a couple
of hours two or three times a week.

I live in zone 8-9 (southwestern Utah). Should the artichokes be getting
buds by now, or am I just too impatient? If they ARE supposed to be
budding, then do you know what I am doing wrong and how I might fix it?
Thanks for any advice.
--S.