Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default July gardens

FarmI wrote:
So, who is doing what in their gardens?

I'm puddling around when I should be working on my fruit cage.

I've tidied up one border and pruned the roses in it which is a bit
too early for my area, but I couldn't stand the look of it any longer.

I've started weeding the huge rose bed as it'd disappeared under
weeds and a groundcover and the roses were in danger of disappearing
too.
I've bought some onion seeds as I havent' been able to buy the onion
sets that I used to be able to get after a very long trip to one
nursery that actually bothered to get sets and I've bought a dozen
raspbery plants of 3 different varieties - have bunged them into
polystyrene boxes till the fruit cage is ready - prolly still be
there come mid summer at the current rate of progress on that - too
bloody cold to do anything much except for a few hours around midday.

So, who's hibernating and who's active?

I haven't been doing much. Her Indoors has been ill and between looking
after her and the boggy conditions over the last few months it has been very
hard. But both are now on the mend so I have been getting the weeds off the
brassicas etc. slowly.

We have joined WWOOF and had a young Swedish couple to stay in April who
were very pleasant and hard working, I will now try to get some more
WWOOFers to help with the stoop work. The pasture looks great for July and
the horses are all fat and sassy. The chestnut arab pulled the hook out of
the gate of the electric fence the other day and let them all into the
orchard. Serves me right I should turn it on more often. This is better
than two years ago when on the frostiest morning of the winter I got a phone
call from a neighbour at about 6AM which began "did you know all your horses
are running up and down the road ...."

I haven't touched our roses yet, I usually leave it until August.

David