Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Damaged tomato plants

While cleaning out my tomato pots and trimming my plants I noticed my yellow
pear had 2 main branches of 4 that had broken spots. It looked like the
branch had been twisted like a dish rag aka wrung out. The leaves were
still alive but the breaks did not look good. It looked like the plant had
tried to grow downward against the tomato stakes trying to make them grow
upwards. The breaks were brownish looking and seemed really week. I went
ahead and cut them off losing 1/3 of my plant in the process and most of my
young tomatoes.

Did I over react? I was thinking those limbs would never be viable and a
drain on the plant in the end. Plus I was worried about bug infiltration.
Will it recover? Sure doesn't look good at the moment.

Paul