Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Artichokes not budding

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Suzanne D. wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

They should have had buds in April or May by my reckoning. How big
are the leaves? Are they in full sun?

The leaves are about 24 inches give or take. They get partial
shade. --S.

That's about half the size of a well grown plant. I would say
either they are underfed, don't get enough sun or both.

David

David,
are you sure on this? IIRC artichokes are about 4ft (1.2M) in
diameter. That's the separation that I gave mine. You're suggesting 8
ft. in diameter?

You had me worried that I was telling porkies so I went and measured.
Firing from the hip a 4ft leaf was a slight exageration, most leaves are
between 3 and 3 1/2 ft. So to my eyes 2ft is under grown. Inadequate light
will reduce flowering even on good sized plants.

I mostly don't plant artichokes in rows but spot them around the flower
garden nominally run by Her Indoors. They are a kind of cool season feature
plant. We like the look AND the taste - ain't nature grand! I would say
4ft is about right for me however I do tend plant close because my soil is
rich and I don't get much root competition.

David