Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default July gardens

So, who is doing what in their gardens?

I'm puddling around when I should be working on my fruit cage.

I've tidied up one border and pruned the roses in it which is a bit too
early for my area, but I couldn't stand the look of it any longer.

I've started weeding the huge rose bed as it'd disappeared under weeds and
a groundcover and the roses were in danger of disappearing too.

I've bought some onion seeds as I havent' been able to buy the onion sets
that I used to be able to get after a very long trip to one nursery that
actually bothered to get sets and I've bought a dozen raspbery plants of 3
different varieties - have bunged them into polystyrene boxes till the
fruit cage is ready - prolly still be there come mid summer at the current
rate of progress on that - too bloody cold to do anything much except for
a few hours around midday.

So, who's hibernating and who's active?

Here in metro west oz have some sugar snap peas at 3ft high. I am taking off
the tendrils and tieing them up with twine. Seem they travel up the bamboo
stakes quicker and gives the better support in the wind. I am expecting the
first flowers in a fortnight. Planted some more peas 9 days ago and they are
up.

Planted some carrot seeds and they are up. Planted out some seedlings of
Tatsoi (Chinese whatever choy), English Spinach, silverbeet, Red Swiss
Chard, turnips and coriander. All look good except the coriander but perhaps
early days.

The Yellow mustard I planted months back has supplied us with lots of nice
feeds but alas it is wanting to flower. Which will make it bitter. I'll end
up with a good lot of greens for the compost.

Waiting for the warmer weather and have started to buy some seeds. Got some
Kale which i could probably plant now. There is also Okra (never tried it
b4), radish and I got some white sage.

Cheers

Richard