Old 07-07-2009, 10:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default July gardens

So, who is doing what in their gardens?

I'm puddling around when I should be working on my fruit cage.

I've tidied up one border and pruned the roses in it which is a bit too
early for my area, but I couldn't stand the look of it any longer.

I've started weeding the huge rose bed as it'd disappeared under weeds and
a groundcover and the roses were in danger of disappearing too.

I've bought some onion seeds as I havent' been able to buy the onion sets
that I used to be able to get after a very long trip to one nursery that
actually bothered to get sets and I've bought a dozen raspbery plants of 3
different varieties - have bunged them into polystyrene boxes till the
fruit cage is ready - prolly still be there come mid summer at the current
rate of progress on that - too bloody cold to do anything much except for
a few hours around midday.

So, who's hibernating and who's active?

i'm hibernating.

actually, i've made a concious decision to ignore the garden as much as i
can for winter, because otherwise it overwhelms me with
things-that-have-to-be-done. :-)

it's just too cold atm for me to even think about planting anything but i
might put in some rocket & stuff in a while if i feel like it. i'm keeping
up with the weeding to facilitate the chooks getting their greens but that's
about all i'm doing.

in autumn, i had a bucket full of coriander seed that i couldn't seem to
organise planting anywhere, so i threw it around in a few garden beds & now
we have more coriander than i think i have ever seen!

there are lots of veg kicking along nicely (things that like winter,
obviously) but for the most part i'm ignoring everything unless eating it -
there's enough rain to water them & i mulched for winter long ago of course.
anyway, i'm finding it a convenient time to be run off my feet with other
things beside the garden.

i find winter extraordinarily difficult tbh. it's just so cold here & when
there's been 3 days without sunlight i start to lose my mind.
kylie