Old 07-07-2009, 01:36 PM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default July gardens

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:35:42 +1000, FarmI wrote:

So, who is doing what in their gardens?

1) using a hand saw on a very long pole to cut dead branches off a dead
wattle as they are needed for kindling for the slow combustion.

2) Arranged with the neighbour to start on the WA Red flowering gum of
ours that is growing over his pool. It split and went Y shaped and is far
too big for location. So it will be replaced by a Grey Myrtle.

3) Finally cleaned(shift crap around) al the bricks, pavers and blocks so
I can start shovelling out the pit for the big plastic water pit.

4) Found out I have until september to get the 2nd bath tub out of the
ground and mounted in time for the water chestnuts.

5) Doing excellent in spinach growing with borage, comfrey and mint in
what was a awfully bare, hard garden. Simply piled on mountains of rabbit
droppings and left it for a year to mulch down.

6) Chief gardner has planted a pile of Kale surrounded by peas on a short
trellis(aka nusiance arch of slad mesh that cluttered up the place.

7) Broadbeans are going great although I am wondering just how we are
going to dig in the green mulch that they were planted into.

8) Hacked off the last of the old wood on the last rose out in the front
garden. That completes the five year plant to completely renew its wood.

9) Still to bolt together the new garden steps. these were made from old
"railway sleepers" so that people(CG mainly) does not step on tin garden
edge and bring it all down.

So, who's hibernating and who's active?

Mostly hibernating as it gets cold and windy here at times.

The active part is turning over a five feet mound of soil that was a
2mx2m raised garden bed and was topped by a couple of cubic metres from
compost bins. I work the edge which mixes the compost bit with the old
hard garden soil from the bed. It all gets thrown onto a 1" sloping mesh
that sieves out the chunky bits that went into the compost bins.

Eventualy I'll produce enough soil to cover a 2m x 6m area and will be
able to pull up all the side walls for the old unsuccessful raised garden
bed idea.

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.