Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hello Everybody.

On Jul 6, 11:29*pm, Buzzard
wrote:
This is my first post ever on a gardening forum and I wanted to
introduce myself and say Hi and at the same time ask you all a question
please.
I was unexpectedly disabled at the age of 53 *three years ago and due
to my enforced absence these days from work I have found gardening as
rather a late comer.
It started through my love of birds and putting up several bird tables
around the place and it has boinged on somewhat from there.
As you can imagine Im a little limited as to what I can do but my
gorgeous Mrs does a lot of the digging and humping while I do the
pottering and bossing (at least she allows me to believe that).
Last week we had some large Leylandi conifers taken down in the back
garden. The "tree surgeons" doing the job dropped one right on top of
our blackcurrant bushes and they are smashed to peices.
The heavy clay ground they were planted in is also covered in
Montbretia with lots of other invasive plants that are a constant pain
that we want to be rid of.
My plan as a complete novice now is to remove the 3 blackcurrant bushes
and to transplant them into large containers and prune them back hard to
get rid of all the smashed wood.
The ground then treat with sodium chlorate and cover with black
membrane to have a fresh start next year.
Please bear in mind we arent capable of digging this soil over to
remove all the unwanted stuff so does this plan sound like a goer to
you far more knowledgable people out there please?
Im all ears, openminded and thankfull for any alternatives.
Thanks in advance and Hi again from me.

--
Buzzard

Hello and welcome. I am Judith, living in France, a gardener but with
little skill which is why I am a resident in this group, always
looking for more knowledge. I'm a bit unsure about using sodium
chlorate; there is other less nasty stuff you can use. We have
several experts here who will be able to give you solid advice. Good
luck with the gardening, you will find it very therapeutic and
fulfilling.

Judith