Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Strange pods dropping from my magnolia

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:39:47 -0400, "Zeppo" wrote:

"Chris Nelson" wrote in message
I live in northern New York State (just north of Albany) and my
magnolia (a M. soulangeana or M. stellata, I think; it has pink and
white flowers in the spring) is dropping strange looking pods. They
look like pickles or maybe the bumpy tip of an asparagus. They're
about 2-3" long and 1/2" in diameter. I don't remember seeing any
last year (my first year in this house). What are they?

Chris,
My magnolia get these as well. For the seed pods to be this big, I'll bet
your Magnolia is a large mature tree.

If you have turf under the tree, try not to leave the pods on the ground as
they rot quickly and kill the grass around the pod for an inch or so.

Jon

My neighbor planted an Magnolia tree along the property line and now I
have leathery leaves to contend with. I compost everything, but
these leaves are very rot resistant. I do not like it.