Old 07-07-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Questions regarding spinach which I think has gone to seed, picture included

Freedom_Spark writes

Hi again everyone, just to remind you again that I'm a complete
beginner, this is only my second year gardening. I don't even fully
understand the term 'gone to seed' however my spinach plants have grew
long and spindley & I spotted some seedlike things close to the tops of
the plants.

They're putting up flower spikes - the seedlike things will be flower
buds. Flowers are a necessary precursor to seeds and fruits.

Last year I had great success with 'perpetual spinach' in
fact it was so successful I ended up with far too much spinach, this
year I planted a variety called 'bordeaux.' Is there nothing I can do
for the plants at this point, should they just be disposed of?

You can probably still pull off some of the leaves for eating, but the
flower stems will be inedibly tough.

If plants get too stressed, eg by lack of water, they often react by a
final attempt at reproduction, ie by putting up a flower spike.

Also
would it be too late to plant a few 'perpetual' spinach plants, as they
can thrive well into the winter.
--

Still fine to sow seed. Have you tried chard? - like spinach, but with
broad central ribs to the leaves which can e cooked separately (they

--
Kay