Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Questions regarding spinach which I think has gone to seed, pictureincluded

K wrote:

Still fine to sow seed. Have you tried chard? - like spinach, but with
broad central ribs to the leaves which can e cooked separately (they
take a few minutes longer than the leaves). Available with ribs ina
range of clours - white, yellow, orange or red.

I much prefer chard for it's bolt resistance compared to spinach. The
leaves are very similar culinary wise. Spinach seems to run to seed at
the drop of a hat. Chard is one of my regular veg items now. Ideal for
cropping over Winter and early spring when there isn't much choice. I
like it chopped up fine and steamed and then mixed in a cheese sauce and
served with pasta dishes. It can also be chopped fine and stir fried
with other vegetables. It is also a nice side dish on its own steamed
then with some butter mixed in it.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.